You may remember that our last Furniture Flip Friday post told the unfortunate tale of the parting of my beloved dresser (read more here). Well, Chris owed me and it didn’t take long for me to collect.
Introduce what almost became another sales victim. Yes, yes, it looked very generic and honestly, pretty ugly.
The key is seeing past all the outdated stain and hardware and finding pieces with good lines. I mean, look at the detail in the feet and, while the shell applique is atrocious, I knew it’d make for great detailing once painted. It was a great find at only $35 too, especially for a solid wood piece!
But I knew this dresser was a keeper when it spoke to me. Yes, I had myself a dresser that could communicate. Don’t believe me? Psh, well non-believers, don’t you worry. I have proof.
Such profound words that appeared on the inside of one of the drawers. Was it a question, a declaration, or just a weird come-on? Well, we may never know but you better believe I was “feelin it” as a keeper for my house. Sorry Chris, this one’s staying.
Still having a hard time seeing the potential? Chris definitely was so let’s walk through the transformation.
First we (err… Chris) sprayed the base (drawers out) with primer then two coats of an antique white color.
Then the drawers.
Here’s a trick for you. To help keep the drawers upright, we place one brick against the underside of the drawer and another one on the back inside of the drawer. Fancy, I know.
Next up, hardware. 17 in all, phew. We chose to spray oil-rubbed bronze which would pop against the antique white.
Finally, we decided to paint the top a flat black for a cute contrast (2 coats). After the black dried, we painted three coats of polyurethane to seal it.
It came out even better than I thought. I knew I was going to have a hard time letting go of this one. So what did Chris do? List it for sale of course. I decided to give it two days then secretly take the sales post down. Can you guess what happened? We were contacted by someone interested in buying it immediately. Boo.
And then I did a bad thing… I fibbed a little. I told the potential buyer that it just sold. I mean, it was sort-of true. I just didn’t mention that I had sold it to myself…
Eep, Chris was going to kill me. So I took the obvious next course of action. I went on a desperate search for an identical dresser.
Apparently I had stocked up on some good furniture karma because I found this guy for sale.
Now for a side by side.
Pretty close eh? I got it for only $5 more – still solid wood and a name brand piece, just slightly shorter. The buyer was interested so I just needed to break the news to Chris that we had 2 days to finish the piece and oops, we were keeping the other one. Love you honey!
- Base Paint: Antique white
- Top Paint: Flat black
- Hardware: Oil-rubbed bronze
The dresser I saved…
The detailing on the feet and shell applique may be my favorite part. I love how they were really enhanced by the paint and distressing. Before, they seemed to get lost, blending in with the rest of the piece due to it all being the same stain color.
And now for the substitute dresser… Now if only I could always get away with this tactic…